Roland Potter has been designing and programming financial, database
and graphical applications for 23 years since gaining a degree in
modern mathematics at Surrey University.
His experience (in reverse chronological order) is as follows:
- Since 1995 he has worked for WCS on a number of projects for different clients.
- Design and development of a suite of web-services backed by an SQL Server database
in both C# for .Net and Borland Delphi. A fully documented API was also produced for these services,
which provide the client with a number of electronic financial services including Anti-Money Laundering via a single consistent XML interface.
- Multi-platform database design and migration application (dbPAL), along with its own in-memory relational database, capable of operating across the internet in a multi-tiered environment. All written in Delphi.
- Maintenance of a legacy COBOL system used by local authorities.
- A number of low level disk utilities an data retrieval programs.
- A number of graphical applications for dealing with high-resolution archive quality images. Written in Delphi with some C++.
- Complete interview system for a large mortgage broker. Written in Delphi using Interbase DB.
- A Year 2000 compliance and systems inventory suite. Written in Delphi for Oracle, SQL server and Paradox.
- A "website on a disk" for the Aluminium Recycling Company for distribution to schools. Written in Delphi.
- Mortgage calculation and quotation program. Written in Delphi.
- Between 1986 and 1995 he worked as programming manager with a mortgage administration company.
- Managing a team of up to 12 programmers and liaison with the other managers, company directors and external clients.
- Programming mortgage completion and administration systems to deal with up to 30 lenders' mortgage producs, in Turbo PASCAL and MS BASIC
- Management Information Systems written using Excel Macros.
- Between 1983 and 1986 he worked with a tax consultancy.
- Writing and operating a tax return system bought by Butterworths tax publishers in Microfocus COBOL.
- Jointly wrote the first on-line (Prestel) tax calculator in 1985 in BBC BASIC.
- Tax calculator program for distribution on 10 or more early home computers.
Jan Potter is company secretary and deals with most non-technical aspects of the company.
Outside of work our joint interests are environmental and animal welfare issues,
live Rock and Blues, finding elusive bargains at car-boot-sales,
and (out of necessity) keeping our steeply sloping garden under control.
Jan has been a vegetarian for many years and Roland a vegan since 1981.
We are both apalled by the attitude of governments and big business throughout
the world to the welfare of our planet and the peoples and creatures we share it with.
We have the honour of hosting a collection of art by Jan's sister the late Beryl Fernandez.
These can be viewed by following this link: Flora Illusions.
Woodstock was a long departed canine friend, who's name lives on in our company.